Location: Theatre on the Run, 3700 S Four Mile Run Dr, Arlington, VA
Performances: April 13 - 28, 2018
Sign up for an audition spot: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d49afaf2dabff2-sweeney
• Depending on the size of turnout, you will be called in groups of eight to present your song.
• As requested, we ask for a classical musical theater song or opera work not from Sweeney Todd that best shows off your voice. The music director may cut you off if we have heard what we need to hear. We are looking to hear approximately 16 bars. Be prepared to have the music director test your range.
• When called upon, introduce yourself and your song to us before you start.
• Unless the director asks you to read from the script, you will not read at the initial audition.
Sweeney Todd Character Breakdown
• Sweeney Todd/Benjamin Barker (Bass/Baritone F2 - Gb4, 30 - 50) A man consumed by revenge after his wife is taken from him, and he is wrongly convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment. Darkly cynical, intense, and volatile.
• Mrs. Lovett (Alto/Mezzo G3 – E5, Cockney accent, moves well, 30 - 50) An amoral, pragmatic seller of meat pies - takes practicality to a ridiculous level. She lusts after Todd. A very high-energy comedic role.
• Joanna Barker (Soprano C3 – Bb5 , 15 - 25) Benjamin Barker's daughter, a ward of Judge Turpin. Haunted, but pure-hearted.
• Anthony Hope (Tenor or Baritenor, Ab2 - F#4, 18 -30) A good natured, optimistic & naive young sailor with an undercurrent of obsession.
• Beggar Woman/Lucy Barker (Soprano or Mezzo-Soprano Ab3 – F5, 25 - 40) Barker's wife, who he believes to be dead. Jarring multiple personalities ranging from pathetic to enraged to crudely suggestive.
• Judge Turpin (Bass/Baritone E2 – F#4, 35 - 70) A lustful, immoral, power-hungry man. Twists the law to suit himself. He has never heard “no”, and revels in his sins.
• Beadle Bamford (Tenor D3 - D5, 35 - 50) Judge Turpin's partner in crime. "A bully with a thin veneer of gentility."
• Adolfo Pirelli/Danny O’Higgins (Tenor B2 - C5, 25 - 40) A charlatan who claims to be "the king of the barbers, the barber of kings." Must be able to use both rich Italian and rough Irish dialects. A very high operatic style tenor role. This also could be played as a “pants role” by a Mezzo-Soprano.
• Tobias Ragg (Tenor or unchanged voice Bb2 – A4, 10 – 20’s) Pirelli's young, simple, but kind-hearted drum-beating assistant. (Younger actors AND actresses are encouraged to audition for this role.)
• Jonas Fogg (Male 35 – 60’s, non-singing role, will be part of Ensemble) The abusive proprietor of London's asylum for the criminally insane.
• Ensemble: A wide variety of roles will come from the ensemble. Ensemble members must have strong, trained voices and good musicianship. They must also be able to demonstrate a strong concentration, intensity, and the ability to play “characters”.
• Chorus soloists: There are a number of important solo sung lines in the show, including one quintet for 5 un-named characters (all of which will double into the main chorus).
• Note: All roles are open to actors of any ethnicity—we are actively seeking a diverse cast.
Saturday January 27 12-4pm, Tuesday January 30 7-10pm